Conditional Admission allows academically qualified students to be accepted to the university after they study at the American Language Program (ALP), Cal State Fullerton's Intensive English program and meet the university's English language requirement. (TOEFL/IELTS)
Am I Eligible to Apply for Conditional Admission?
- Applicants should have above average academic standing.
- Recommended minimum GPA 2.5/4.0 for undergraduate applicants
- Recommended minimum GPA 3.0/4.0 for graduate applicants
- To learn about specific academic requirements, find out what type of student you are by clicking below:
- What type of student are you?
Note: CSU Fullerton does not accept second bachelor's degree applicants or lower division transfers (less than 60 units.)
Type of Degree
Most graduate programs
89 iBT (w/26 spkg)
- Undergraduate (Bachelor's)
- Conditional admission is available for all undergraduate degrees except Nursing. View the entire list of undergraduate degrees.
- Graduate (Master's) - view departmental requirements for each program
- Computer Science
- Educational Administration and Leadership
- Engineering (Civil, Computer, Electrical, Mechanical)
- Accelerated M.S. in Software Engineering
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
How Do I Apply?
Follow the checklist and application and submit the documents to our office in College Park, Suite 100 or mail to:
California State University, Fullerton
Attention: Conditional Admissions
2600 Nutwood Avenue CP-950
Fullerton, CA 92831 USA
Conditional Admission Paper Application
Complete the conditional admission paper application and indicate which major you want to study. Sign the application and make a copy for your records.
$180 USD Conditional Admission Application Fee
Pay the $180 USD non-refundable application fee by credit card, check or money order made payable to "CSUF."
Proof of Financial Support
Send an original bank letter on bank stationary or a letter from your sponsor or scholarship organization written on their stationery showing a minimum balance of $34,313 (undergraduate) or $37,919 (graduate) that is dated within the last six months. You may also show a bank statement. Students applying to the Accelerated M.S in Software Engineering need to demonstrate $44,633 as they will be attending Spring, Summer, and Fall during their first year.
Photocopy of Passport
Send a photocopy of the inside page of your passport with your photo and personal information.
Official Transcripts of Academic Records
We request original transcripts. All documents submitted to the university, become property of California State University, Fullerton, and cannot be returned. If you have one transcript, we recommend you submit a certified copy. A certified English translation of the transcript and diploma is required.
If you are applying as a first year student/freshman AND it has been six months or more since you graduated from high school - e.g. If you graduated from high school in 2013 and you are applying for Fall 2014, then submit the Explanation After High School letter.
Supplemental Graduate Documents: (Graduate Students only):
Review specific departmental requirements for any additional documents needed for conditional admission, such as:
- GRE Score Minimum 300 required before entering university (can still apply for conditional admission without GRE score)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose (750 words or less)
- GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 in last 60 semester units
Education Administration and Leadership
- GPA of at least 3.0/4.0
- Elementary and Bilingual Education emphasis requires a teaching credential or equivalent three years teaching experience
- Educational Leadership emphasis requires a background in education
- GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 60 units attempted
- Three letters of recommendation
- A personal statement highlighting professional objectives
- Gerontology Program Application form on their website
- A minimum GPA of 2.50/4.0 in the last 60 semester units attempted
- Applied Option - Math 335 and Math 350 with grades of B or better
- Teaching Option - Math 302, Math 307, Math 335, and Math 350, with at least a B average
- An undergraduate major in mathematics with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in all upper division mathematics courses OR a combination of previous course work or work experience approved as equivalent by the graduate committee of the Mathematics Department
- Program admits students for fall semester only
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher in the last 60 units of college work and at least a 3.25 GPA in all Sociology courses listed in your transcript
- Three letters of recommendation from people who can attest to your academic potential
- A writing sample, such as a paper you submitted for a grade in a course. It should be 3-4 pages and should be something the department can use to assess your writing proficiency
- A statement of purpose
Software Engineering (Accelerated Master’s Degree)
- Program always begins in Spring semester
- Accelerated program of four terms (Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring)
- A minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 in the last 60 semester units attempted
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other majors with equivalent professional experience
- Prerequisite course: CPSC 362 Foundations of Software Engineering or equivalent professional experience to be completed by the end of the Fall semester before entering the program in the Spring.
- Personal Statement
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in the major and 2.7 in the last 60 units attempted
- Optional: 3 letters of recommendation by professors or employers
- An essay stating the purpose of their study
- Admitted students may have to complete prerequisite courses after starting the program
Conditional Admission Policies
- To start university as a conditional admission student, students must:
- Enroll in the American Language program full-time for at least one semester (or 8 weeks during the summer) with conditional admission,
- Pass the intermediate level of ALP with a "C" or higher,
- Submit a passing TOEFL/IELTS score,
- Be consecutively enrolled in ALP classes (you may take summer session off and continue in the fall),
- Complete any additional conditions on the letter, and
- Update the university application on CSU Mentor for the semester in which you plan to attend university. (CSU Mentor applications should NOT be completed before indicated to do so.)
*U.S. citizens may qualify for Conditional Admission, but must meet the same conditions and are required to enroll in at least 6 hours of ALP courses each semester.
- Students who meet CSUF English Language Minimum Proficiency at the time of applying for conditional admission are not eligible for conditional admission. This means if the student has a passing TOEFL, IELTS, or presents evidence for a TOEFL waiver, the student is not eligible for conditional admission.
- Transcripts submitted to CSUF become the University's property and cannot be returned. Students who have one official transcript should submit an attested copy of the transcript.
- Please be aware that the University has the right to change admissions requirements. Occasionally additional supplemental materials may be required.
- CSUF admits undergraduate business majors into "pre-business". This is the normal procedure for CSUF and indicates that you are qualified for the major. If you need additional clarification, please contact International Admissions for a support letter.