Conditional Admission allows academically qualified students to be accepted to the university after they study in our American Language Program (ALP) and meet the university's English language requirement (TOEFL or IELTS).
Am I Eligible to Apply for Conditional Admission?
- Applicants should have above average academic standing.
- Recommended minimum GPA 2.5/4.0 for freshmen applicants
- Recommended minimum GPA 3.0/4.0 for graduate applicants
Note: CSU Fullerton does not accept second bachelor's degree applicants.
This student has graduated or is attending High School and has NOT taken any university courses.
High School Subject requirements:
- Mathematics: 3 years required/ 4 years best.
- Science Lab: 2 years required/ 3 years best (at least 1 year of Biology and at least 1 year of Physics and/or Chemistry)
High School document requirements:
- Official high school or secondary school transcripts or mark sheets with proof of graduation (if completed).
- If currently in high school, submit up to the 12th year 1st semester grades
*Conditional admission is not available for students who graduate from U.S. high schools. Students are still welcome to apply for the American Language Program and apply directly to the University.
This student has the equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s Degree. Most 3 year degrees are not considered equivalent.
University document requirements:
- Official original-language transcripts or mark sheets with proof of graduation (if completed). If documents are not in English, also send an official English translation.
- Check the supplemental document section down in this page for department-specific requirements.
Type of Degree
Most graduate programs
89 iBT (w/26 spkg)
- Freshmen (Bachelor's)
- Conditional admission is available for all undergraduate degrees except Nursing. View the entire list of undergraduate degrees.
- Graduate (Master's) - view departmental requirements for each program
- Computer Science
- Education: Concentration in Educational Leadership only
- Engineering (Civil, Computer, Electrical, Mechanical)
- Accelerated M.S. in Software Engineering
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
How Do I Apply?
Follow the checklist and application and submit the documents to our office in College Park, Suite 200 or mail to:
California State University, Fullerton
Attention: Conditional Admissions
2600 Nutwood Avenue CP-950
Fullerton, CA 92831 USA
Conditional Admission Paper Application
Complete the conditional admission paper application and indicate which major you want to study. Sign the application and make a copy for your records.
- Section 4: You are required to provide a permanent mailing address in your home country and phone number so that we can issue your I-20.
**If you are from Iran, please provide an alternate mailing address outside of Iran that we can send your admission packet.
$180 USD Conditional Admission Application Fee
Pay the $180 USD non-refundable application fee by credit card, check or money order made payable to "CSUF."
Proof of Financial Support
Send an original bank letter on bank stationary or a letter from your sponsor or scholarship organization written on their stationery showing a minimum balance of $34,313 (undergraduate) or $37,919 (graduate) that is dated within the last six months. You may also show a bank statement. Students applying to the Accelerated M.S in Software Engineering need to demonstrate $44,633 as they will be attending Spring, Summer, and Fall during their first year.
- If you are married and are bringing your spouse, please provide additional proof of funds of $6,000. You will also be required to submit a copy of the marriage certificate.
- If you will bring your children with you, please show proof of $6,000 per child and a copy of your child’s birth certificate.
Copy of Passport
Send a copy of the inside page of your passport (with your photo and personal information).
- If you are married and will bring your spouse and/or children you will need to submit a copy of your spouse and/or child’s passport.
Official Transcripts of Academic Records
We request original transcripts. All documents submitted to the university (regardless of admissions decision), become property of CSUF, and cannot be returned. If you have only one transcript, we recommend you submit a certified copy of that transcript. A certified English translation of the transcript and diploma is required if they are written in a foreign language.
If you are applying as a first year student/freshman AND it has been six months or more since you graduated from high school - e.g. If you graduated from high school in 2013 and you are applying for Fall 2014, then submit the Explanation After High School letter.
Supplemental Graduate Documents: (Graduate Students only):
Review specific departmental requirements for any additional documents needed for conditional admission, such as:
- GRE Score Minimum 300 required before entering university (can still apply for conditional admission without GRE score)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose (750 words or less)
- GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 in last 60 semester units
Education: Concentration in Educational Leadership
- GPA of at least 3.0/4.0
- Requires background in education
- Statement of Purpose to explain career goals, reasons why you want to be a school leader and to describe your experience with students between 6 – 18 years old in an educational setting
- A minimum GPA of 2.50/4.0 in the last 60 semester units attempted
- Applied Option - Math 335 and Math 350 with grades of B or better
- Teaching Option - Math 302, Math 307, Math 335, and Math 350, with at least a B average
- An undergraduate major in mathematics with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in all upper division mathematics courses OR a combination of previous course work or work experience approved as equivalent by the graduate committee of the Mathematics Department
- Program admits students for fall semester only
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher in the last 60 units of college work and at least a 3.25 GPA in all Sociology courses listed in your transcript
- Three letters of recommendation from people who can attest to your academic potential
- A writing sample, such as a paper you submitted for a grade in a course. It should be 3-4 pages and should be something the department can use to assess your writing proficiency
- A statement of purpose
Software Engineering (Accelerated Master’s Degree)
- Program always begins in Spring semester
- Accelerated program of four terms (Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring)
- A minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 in the last 60 semester units attempted
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other majors with equivalent professional experience
- Prerequisite course: CPSC 362 Foundations of Software Engineering or equivalent professional experience to be completed by the end of the Fall semester before entering the program in the Spring.
- Personal Statement
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in the major and 2.7 in the last 60 units attempted
- Optional: 3 letters of recommendation by professors or employers
- An essay stating the purpose of their study
- Admitted students may have to complete prerequisite courses after starting the program
Conditional Admission Policies
- Conditional admission students must:
- Enroll in the American Language program full-time for at least one term (16-week semester or 8-week summer) with conditional admission,
- Pass the intermediate level of ALP with a "C" or higher,
- Be consecutively enrolled in ALP classes (you may take summer session off), and
- Complete any additional conditions on the admission letter
- For Fall 2014 university entry, the deadline to submit a passing TOEFL or IELTS score is July 1st.
*U.S. citizens may qualify for Conditional Admission, but must meet the same conditions and are required to enroll in at least 6 hours of ALP courses each semester.
- Students are able to apply for Conditional Admission as minors, however at the time of enrollment in the American Language Program you must be 18 years of age.
- Students who meet CSUF English Language Minimum Proficiency at the time of applying for conditional admission must also submit a passing TOEFL or IELTS score.
- Transcripts submitted to CSUF become the University's property and cannot be returned (regardless of admission decision). Students who only have one official transcript should submit an attested copy of that transcript.
- Please be aware that the University has the right to change admissions requirements. Additional supplemental materials may be required while your application is reviewed for a decision.
Conditional Application Status
- Receiving information on your conditional admission application
The email written in the application is the one to which all notifications will be made. So, please notify email@example.com if you want it changed. This is also true for your mailing address. The address provided on the application is the address we will send your I-20.
- Admission decisions are made on complete applications only
In order to provide a fair evaluation we will need you to list all schools and institutions you have attended. If additional documents are needed to make a decision, we will contact you by email.
- Processing Times
Complete applications for a Bachelor’s degree can expect a decision in 3-4 weeks. Complete applications for a Master’s degree can expect a decision in 4-6 weeks.
- Conditional Admission Granted
Your Conditional Admission Letter will explain the steps to move from the language program to the University.
CSUF admits undergraduate business majors into "pre-business". This indicates that you are qualified for the major. If you need additional clarification, please contact us for a support letter.
Be aware of English placement tests at ALP orientation
All incoming conditional admission students must take the ALP placement test on the first day of the orientation. You will be placed in one of the eight levels. It takes one semester to complete one level.
Because you first study at the language program, please find support services for:
--I-20 and Visa: http://alp.fullerton.edu/visa.aspx
--Fees, orientation, and sample class schedule: http://alp.fullerton.edu/intensive-english-program.aspx
- Denied Conditional Admission
If unfortunately you are denied conditional admission, you can still attend the American Language Program. Please reply to the email that sent you the decision with your choice to attend only the ALP.