Where do you want to apply?

Apply to the University
You meet the eligibility requirements and are interested in applying for a degree program at Cal State Fullerton.


Apply through Conditional Admission
You are interested in applying to Cal State Fullerton but need to improve your English skills (TOEFL score) first.


I Want to Apply: Transfer Students from U.S.

Fall 2015 applications are closed
Spring 2016 opens August 1

How to Apply

Admission Requirements

If you have been attending a college or university within the United States and wish to transfer to Cal State Fullerton, the requirements are:

  • At least 60 transferable semester college units (90 quarter units)
  • A minimum of 30 semester units (45 quarter units) in CSU-approved general education coursework with grades of C or better. The 30 units must include the "Golden Four" requirements (see below) with grades of C or better.
  • Above average academic standing. In 2014, the average transfer grade point average was 3.11.

Note: CSU Fullerton does not accept second bachelor's degree applicants with the exception to Nursing

Golden Four, General Education Requirement

Included in the lower division courses taken at a college or university should be basic skills courses that cover the following areas. All courses need to be completed with a letter grade of "C" or higher. Students attending schools in California can consult www.assist.org to find course equivalents.

  • Oral Communication (speech course)
  • Written Communication (English composition)
  • Critical Thinking (logic)
  • Mathematics (at level beyond intermediate algebra)

When Can I Apply to Cal State Fullerton?

Classes begin end of August
Classes begin end of January
Application Period October 1 – November 30 August 1 – 31
Eligibility 60 units including "Golden Four" general education requirement, completed by June 60 units including "Golden Four" general education requirement,completed by August

*Please note: Some years, the university may not accept new students for the Spring term.

English Proficiency Requirement

All applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose native language is other than English are required to submit proof of English proficiency before an admissions decision can be made.

If all transfer criteria (60 units and "Golden Four") have been completed at a U.S. school, then TOEFL/IELTS will be waived. You do not need to submit the waiver form.

If some of the transfer criteria (60 units and "Golden Four") have been completed outside the U.S., then submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.

  • Test must be taken within the past two years
  • Request official score be sent to Cal State Fullerton (institutional code: 4589)
Type of Test Minimum Requirement
TOEFL, paper test 500
TOEFL, internet-based test (iBT) 61
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)

Test of English as a Foreign Language Requirement (TOEFL)

Once you have decided to apply to Cal State Fullerton, you should request that an official score report be sent to Cal State Fullerton. A copy of the report can also be included with your admissions paperwork. To request your score report, visit: www.ets.org/toefl. Cal State Fullerton is institutional code: 4589

Note: If you have taken your TOEFL test through a college or university, rather than an official ETS testing center, your score will not be accepted.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

IELTS is accepted in place of TOEFL as a standardized test of English proficiency. Undergraduate applicants must score a minimum on the IELTS Overall Band Score of 5.5. Visit www.ielts.org.

Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)

Pearson PTE is accepted in place of TOEFL as a standardized test of English proficiency. Undergraduate applicants must score a minimum score of 43 in the PTE. Visit pearsonpte.com.

Financial Support

Cal State Fullerton does not offer financial aid or assistance to international students. International student applicants will be required to submit the International Student Financial Affidavit of Support, proof of funding (bank statement or sponsor letter), and a passport copy. An I-20 cannot be issued until these forms have been received and approved.

The average cost of one year of study, including housing and food is approximately $35,500 U.S.


After students apply to the university, you will be asked to send transcripts showing proof of your previous education. In the United States, the academic record is called a "transcript." In other countries, these documents may be called by another name - such as mark sheets, leaving certificates or maturity certificate.

Please note:

  • Official transcripts are required from each school listed on the CSU Mentor application. Emailed, faxed, and opened transcripts are not considered official.
  • All academic records received become official records of the university, and cannot be returned or reissued.

International students are required to submit the official original-language transcript or mark sheets, as well as an official English translation if documents are not in English. For more information on which documents are required for each country, please visit our Academic Documents page.

Transfer from US

Find Transferable Courses

If you are attending a school in California, use www.assist.org to find out how your units transfer to CSUF

Have questions?

Frequently Asked Questions

View our FAQ under "I Want to Apply"

Deadlines and Important Dates